Feedback

Add VoiceOver Accessibility to your games

My wife plays this game all the time. I've become rather a fan of it, but have to play vicariously through her, because this game does not work at all with VoiceOver, the built-in screen-reader for iOS devices. I would like to be able to play this game myself, and would kindly ask that the developers look into even rudimentary VoiceOver support, so that blind players such as myself can enjoy the game without help. Apple have extensive documentation on making apps accessible. By following these, you open up your apps to thousands more people that can enjoy them just as much as you do currently.
Consider this for a future update.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andre Louis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jojiieme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brilliant idea! I can play with my blind friends in other places then, including people learning English.

• Victor Tsaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't think I need to repeat what was said above, but please please make this and other game you are working on accessible for both Android and iOS users.
        I hope you heard us! :) Thanks in advance!

• Sarah Van Oosterwijck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am blind and my favorite board game is Scrabble, but I don’t often have local friends to play my physical brailled game with me. I would love to have an accessible scrabble app for my iPad so I can play with the many friends and family members who play on their mobile devices and don’t live anywhere near me.

• Kerry Calderon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

these games are good for the family, and since my hole family have smart devices, or phones, it would make a good family gaming grand. please make this happen? thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make me happy, for years since I was small, at around the age of 12, I use to play with my family, but hated so much that I had to ask people for letters on put them in order, so I understand, make this game playable for the blind, this would make my gaming dream come true, and we still play scrabble.

• Victoria Oruwari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This game sounds like it will be something I would love to play too. I’m also blind and would greatly appreciate if it could be made accessible to voice-over users.

• Ian Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Important note for devs; if you're making a native app, each platform has its own accessibility guidelines. I assume you are not, and are most likely using Unity. If so Unity does not support VoiceOver (or talkback, Android's equivalent), but there is a plugin available which replicates the functionality of VoiceOver and Talkback inside Unity -

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/ui-accessibility-plugin-uap-87935

• Kevin Kern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a VoiceOver user as well and would like to see you add VO support to your product. More than 3.5 million people in the US alone are vision impaired. This will increase as the population ages. Making products accessible makes them available to so many more people. We are seeing this now in so many different products and apps. Please consider doing this to Word Chums as well. Thanks!

• Daniel Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a big fan of word games and am a VoiceOver user, so adding VO support to this would not only be fantastic for me personally, but would also be another step toward showing that the world cares about accessibility. Please make this happen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WordChums. This is 2018. Technology is the sign of the times for many, and a massive let down for the few who need it just like everyone else. So guys/gals behind this game - fix up and make it accessible for our blind and visually impaired users. 21st century fail.

Feedback and Knowledge Base